75 Long Distance Relationship Questions to Ask Yourself Before Starting
Beginning a long distance relationship is not a decision that can be taken lightly.
The commitment is important, and the consequences are numerous, so it is crucial to calmly think about it and take time before deciding that.
In this article, we are going to see the exact points that you should consider before starting and the questions that you should ask yourself, to be sure that you know what you’re committing yourself to.
These long distance relationship questions are critical to the success of your LDR, so don’t underestimate them.
Here we go!
1. About Your Partner
- Do you trust your partner?
- Can you tell your partner everything without feeling uncomfortable or judged?
- Does your partner give you day-to-day support?
- Does your partner keep their promises and commitments?
- Are you 100% sure that your partner will never cheat on you?
- Does your partner always tell you the truth?
- Does your partner know how to take responsibility instead of blaming others?
- Does your partner feel attacked when you express disagreement?
- Do you know some of your partner’s close friends?
- Does your partner flirt with other people in your presence?
- Has your partner ever lied to you?
- Does your partner appreciate your passions and hobbies?
- Would your partner be capable of committing to one person?
- Has one of you been accused of having cheated on the other?
- Do you know well your partner’s life and interests?
- Do you have fun together?
- Does your partner trust you?
- Do you love this person enough to have a long distance relationship?
- Would you be able to sacrifice something for this person?
- Are you ready to wholly commit yourself to this person?
- Are you ready to give up the comfort of a normal relationship for this person?
- Is your partner THE right one?
- Do you share common values?
- Can you picture yourself and your partner one day living together?
- Have you already seen or met your partner?
2. About the Communication in your Relationship
- Does your partner easily feel attacked, cheated, or angry?
- Does your partner listen to you attentively?
- Are there topics that always create conflict in your relationship?
- Does your partner always want to be right?
- Do you and your partner fight a lot?
- Do you and your partner know how to find a compromise?
- Does your partner avoid conflict at all costs?
- Is it possible for you and your partner to stay (almost) always connected to your phone or internet?
- Are you ready to speak openly about your doubts, fears, worries, and feelings?
- Are you ready to talk to your partner A LOT?
- Can you and your partner communicate mainly through text messages?
- Does it bother you to use Skype?
- Can you find the right balance between your personal life and your long distance relationship?
- How often will you communicate with each other?
- What will you do when you have nothing else to say?
- Can you talk about everything together?
3. About the Distance
- Do you mind going to events and parties without your partner?
- Could you accept the absence of sex over long periods of time?
- Could you trust someone when you don’t know what he or she is doing?
- Are you ready to spend a large part of your savings on visits?
- Do you understand that your long distance relationship will undoubtedly last longer than what you expect?
- Are you ready to invest more time, energy, and efforts in your relationship?
- Are you able to be true to one person?
- Can you set strict rules and follow them?
- Can you handle criticism from people that don’t accept long distance relationships?
- Can you ignore people that question your relationship and that advise you to break up?
- Can you bear the constant feeling of loneliness?
- Are you ready to face the struggle to finish the distance?
- Could you express your affection more intensely than usual?
- Can the time difference be a problem for you and your partner?
- Would you be jealous if your partner spends a lot of time with other people?
- Can you manage your relationship even if your families and friends don’t support you?
- Can you keep your promises and commitments?
- Are you ready to handle problems and fights from a distance?
- Would you be willing to discover new tools and learn how to grow from a distance?
- Are you ready to share activities and dates online?
4. About Your Goals and Your Limits
- How much time would you want this long distance relationship to last?
- How often will you see each other?
- What will happen if you are not able to end the distance or to organize visits?
- What is the maximum duration of a long distance relationship for you?
- Will this relationship be exclusive or open?
- Do you have a backup plan?
- Where do you see yourself after this long distance relationship?
- Do you talk about each other with your loved ones?
- Would you be willing to share the expenses for visits?
- What are the limits that must absolutely not be crossed?
- Are you on the same page regarding the future?
- What are the specifics steps you need to complete before moving in together?
- What are the potential obstacles that stand in your way?
- How long can you keep going without reunions?
Of course, my goal is not to make you disgusted about being in a long distance relationship.
It may seem intimidating when we display all these LDR questions in this way, but above all, I want you to acknowledge them because they are all essential points.
However, we must not forget that millions of people live this type of adventure.
Are they masochists? Perhaps.
But I think that regardless of all the difficulties, they decide to fight for something that is truly worth it; their partner.
All in all, if you have love, confidence, and iron determination, then I do not doubt that you will succeed in your LDR!