How to Maintain a Long Distance Relationship With Your Boyfriend
Have you ever found yourself falling hard for a certain guy, only to find down the road that he’s going to be leaving soon? While it’s a known fact that long distance relationships are tough, it certainly doesn’t mean that they aren’t impossible.
So how can you maintain a long distance relationship with your boyfriend?
As long as you’re giving him adequate attention through texts and calls, seeing him regularly, and making him miss you while he’s away, you should have a healthy and strong relationship that lasts even through the long distances.
Maintaining a healthy relationship will be a challenge, but if you truly care about the guy then you should be willing to at least try and make things work.
There’s a lot of different ways to keep your long distance boyfriend happy and committed to the relationship, and we’re going to break it down in detail.
What to Text Long Distance Boyfriend
When you are in a long distance relationship, almost all of your communication is going to be done over the phone. This means a lot of phone calls, Facetime calls, and especially text messages are going to be a crucial element in your relationship.
With that being said, you need to know what to text your long distance boyfriend. While most of the time you should always toss in some romantic texts, there should also be plenty of fun and engaging messages to keep communication strong between the two of you.
Here’s some examples of excellent text message ideas designed for your long distance relationship:
- Always remember to text him good morning and good night. You can get creative here, and toss in a ‘handsome’ or ‘thinking of you’. Texting every morning and night shows that he is on your mind throughout the entire day, and will make him feel special.
- Talk about your day through text. This shows an interest in each other’s lives, and also lets you in on what’s going on with your boyfriend. Take photos of interesting things you’re doing, share the good and the bad, and always tell your boyfriend about great things that happened that day- such as a promotion.
- Be flirty! One big flaw in almost every relationship, whether they’re short or long distance, is they lose the ‘spark’. They stop flirting with each other, which can sometimes lead to boredom.
Always make sure you’re flirting with your man via text. Something as simple as, “I miss being able to run my fingers through that sexy brown hair” is enough to keep him smiling.
- Of course you are missing your man like crazy, but you need to text him about how much you miss him so he knows too. Don’t just stop at ‘I miss you’. Get personalized and creative with a message like, “I can’t wait to see you again. I’m going to run and jump into those big strong arms!”
- One big word of advice: never fight through text messages. I think we all know by now that texts can be read the wrong way, so fighting over text is never a good idea. If a fight is beginning to brew, either stop texting until you calm down or call him to talk over the phone.
Things to Say to Your Long Distance Boyfriend
Looking for some downright romantic things to tell you man? We’ve come up with 25 different sayings that are meaningful and will surely bring the two of you closer together.
- Each day without you I miss you more and more, and it convinces me everyday that I really, truly am in love with you.
- Though we are far apart, I know that we are meant to be together. I can’t wait to see you again.
- Distance is not an obstacle, because our love will always keep us together.
- Although we aren’t together right now, at least we can look up to the skies and see the same stars. It makes me feel closer to you <3
- I will always wait for you. I don’t care how long or how far apart we are, I am yours.
- Being so far apart is hard, but it’s making our relationship stronger than ever. I love you.
- There’s no need to talk about the distance between us; let’s talk about the wonderful things in life instead, like how much I love you.
- Other couples may be able to touch each other by the hand, but our love is so strong we can touch each other by the heart.
- It will be the happiest day when I get to see you again.
- Even though we may be far apart, you’re still in my heart to stay.
- For you, I would wait decades.
- I can’t wait until you’re back to me; I won’t ever let you go.
- My biggest mistake in life would be to stop waiting for you, the one I love.
- Can you count all of the stars in the sky? No? That describes just how much I miss you.
- Every morning feels incomplete without you by my side. I can’t wait until you’re here again.
- I always get so excited when I get one of your messages.
- Let’s focus on making our relationship stronger than ever before, until we meet again.
- I miss you so, so incredibly much. (Go on to describe what you miss about them.)
- Call me now. I want to hear your voice, I miss it so much.
- Distance is just a test, seeing how far our love can travel.
- Distance means very little, when you mean absolutely everything to me.
- The saying goes ‘Out of sight, out of mind’. But that can’t be true. You’re not here, and I can’t get you off my mind.
- I relive every second that we had together, and I can’t wait until I see you again.
- Distance makes the heart grow fonder, and I grow fonder of you every day.
- We’re perfect together, we’re just not in the perfect situation right now; but that will get better when we’re together again.
The great thing about these particular quotes is they can easily be sent as a text message or over the phone. Either way, these messages are designed to make your partner feel confident and happy with the relationship, especially when times get hard.
How Often to Visit Long Distance Boyfriend
This is a common question that every woman asks when she enters into a long distance relationship with a man: “How often should we visit each other?” Well, that will come down to several different factors regarding your relationship.
First and foremost, for the military ladies out there, this question can only be answered by when your man will be allowed to come back home. If he’s in another country, or on a ship, or stationed somewhere far away, he will only be allowed to visit when they allow him to do so.
This of course makes a relationship more difficult. This is why women who are dating or married to military men are highly applauded as that is a difficult and tense situation. However, hopefully you are able to at least make Facetime calls or Skype calls until they are able to return.
For other types of relationships, the most basic rules to follow are these:
- Every 2 weeks is ideal for visiting your long distance boyfriend. This means that you are seeing each other fairly regularly, so not too much time passes in between visits. This keeps things interesting and allows for the physical connection many want and need.
- If you can’t visit each other that often, a visit once a month can also do the trick. A once a month visit also ensures that you’re seeing each often enough to not miss each other too much and potentially lose interest.
The main goal is to see each other as much as possible while you’re apart. It’s true for some, that not even once a month is practical for their situation. In these cases you want to spend even more time on the phone with one another so you stay connected.
Make sure you are always making plans to see each other. The second that there is no plan in place, or the plans get rescheduled or moved often, is the moment where someone may find it too difficult to remain in the long distance relationship. They may even think that you don’t want to see them, which will eventually lead to a breakup.
How to Surprise Your Long Distance Boyfriend
Keeping a relationship exciting is one of the key factors in a successful relationship, no matter how far apart you and your man may be. There’s a lot of different ways that you can surprise your long distance boyfriend, and here’s how:
This is perhaps the absolute best surprise you could ever give your long distance boyfriend. He will be out-of-this-world excited when he sees you on his doorstep, and it’s bound to make for one incredible visit that definitely kicks up the spark in your relationship.
Even if your man won’t admit it, he’s a romantic at heart and will love to receive a special note from his woman. It doesn’t have to be incredibly lovey-dovey, but something cute and to the point will make him happy. Send it through the mail!
Yes, you can do a date night from a long distance. How? Set up your video chat, play the same movie, and chat throughout the movie. It’s almost like the real deal.
A lot of phones and computers have apps or video games that allow for multi player. If you’re into video games, find a game you both like and play it together. If you’re more fond of apps like word games and puzzles where you take turns, then consider one of those instead.
Special present through the mail
With this idea you can be super creative. Send him something small, like his favorite candy bar, or send a large package with shirts, items with his favorite team’s logo, snacks, and a picture of the two of you together, of course. The point here is to make it customized with all his favorite stuff.
If you’re ready to get rated R with your man, consider taking some tasteful photos that show off your best assets. Surprise him with a text like this ever so often and he’ll continue craving you until you finally meet again.
How to Make Long Distance Boyfriend Miss You
One of the best ways to keep your long distance relationship going strong is to make your man miss you; and I mean, really miss you.
You essentially want him to almost crave having you next to him. This doesn’t mean in a sexual way (although that is a plus), but in a more general way where he wants to see you and take you on a date.
So how can you make sure that he stays missing you, even if it’s been over a month since you last saw each other? Here’s a few quick and simple ways to keep him interested:
- While the two of you should call each other fairly often, don’t answer every phone call and don’t always text back right away. Of course you miss him but this is one of the easiest tricks in the book. Let him wonder about you. Let him miss you before you reply to his every call and text.
- Always make sure you’re doing things for yourself. Get a makeover! Go get a new hairstyle! Get your nails done! All of these improvements will ‘wow’ him and make him miss you and want to be there for all the new, exciting things you’re doing in your life.
- Go out with your friends. I’m not saying you should go get wasted every Saturday and post about it, but a simple girls trip to the beach or going out to dinner will make him jealous that he’s not there.
- It’s okay to call him first- sometimes. But half the time he should call you first. Even if that means it’s been a day or two since anyone has made the phone call, make sure sometimes it’s definitely him. Without you being the initiator, he will miss you and start calling faster than you think.
- Send plenty of pictures. Make sure you’re getting the right angles and showing off that stunning smile. The more he sees you look flawless and fabulous, the more he is going to wish he was right there next to you.
- You always want to make sure you make him feel special. You can do that by simply listening to him when he has had a bad day, or setting up a surprise visit where the two of you do something you enjoy doing together.
- Keep it spicy. The lack of physical contact can make some long distance relationship end. So how can you make sure you keep things interesting even though you’re apart? Sexy pictures, sexting, and even video chatting in an ‘X’ rated way are easy ways to keep him longing for you.
- Always remain independent and happy when the two of you are apart. It’s okay to tell him how much you miss him, but don’t make it seem like your life is pointless without him. You’re still having fun, you’re still independent, and you’re still happy. This type of confidence wows men and will keep them interested.
How to Make Long Distance Boyfriend Happy
For someone who is just starting out in a long distance relationship, it may seem like a big challenge to try and keep your boyfriend happy.
But did you know that you don’t always need to go above and beyond to keep him smiling? In fact, there’s a lot of little things you can do to ensure the relationship is happy and strong.
Communication is Key
Like any other type of relationship, communication is always going to be the biggest factor. With a long distance relationship, it is even more important to ensure there’s plenty of communication going on via texting, video calling, and phone calling.
When it comes to conversation, try and do the following:
Always talk about your feelings
The good, the bad, and the ugly should always be shared between each other to keep the connection alive.
Make small talk
Yes, even when you’re into a 4 year relationship with someone the small talk should still continue. Ask about each other’s day, ask how they’re doing, ask what they’re up to. These simple questions keep you learning more about your partner and shows them you’re interested still.
Share how much you miss them
Of course you should always tell your long distance man how much you miss him, and just how important he is to you. This will reassure him that you’re still all about him and can’t wait for him to come back.
Don’t overdo it
Can’t stress this enough! Too much calling and texting can become an annoyance, even if you’re far apart. Try and limit it and remain independent while you’re away from each other. It will make the calls and texts more meaningful.
Meet Up as Often as Possible
For some relationships, the distance can be on the shorter side, with drive times ranging between 2 and 10 hours. If this is the case, you are more likely to visit each other at least every 2 weeks to a month.
However, some situations calls for the man and woman to be even further apart. This may make it more of a challenge to see each other, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be done.
Whether you’re 2 or 22 hours apart, always try and make plans as often as possible. The more you see each other the more likely it is to keep the spark alive. Make plans and set countdown times on your phone to make it more fun and exciting.
Send Him Presents
We talked about this earlier, and it’s a super important to step in keeping your man happy in a long distance relationship.
Remember: it doesn’t have to be anything huge; simply sending him a shirt with his favorite sports team logo on it is enough to keep him happy. This lets him know you’re thinking of him.
For relationships with men far away (especially those in the military) you may consider making a care package with snacks, hygiene products, comfortable PJs, and anything else he may enjoy. Again, this shows you care and want him to be happy, and that you’re supportive no matter how far away he is.
Another quick and easy present you can send him is through text messages. Maybe write him a lovely poem, send a snapshot of you wearing his shirt, or keep it spicy with a pic in some of his favorite types of lingerie.
How to Impress Long Distance Boyfriend
You might wonder why it’s important to impress your long distance boyfriend. Well, the fact of the matter is this: if you impress him, he’s going to remain more interested.
A woman who is set out to impress will have the utmost confidence and independence in herself, and men love that.
So how can you make sure that you’re impressing your boyfriend, even while being so far apart? There’s many ways:
Impress him by being independent
This means that you’re still going out with your friends, staying devoted to your schooling, and trying your hardest in your job.
Don’t be too needy
You might think you need to constantly interact with your man over the phone to keep him interested while apart, but it couldn’t be more opposite. Men don’t want a needy female; show him you can spend time away from him and make the phone calls all the more special.
When it comes to school or work
Get a promotion or win an award. This shows your man that you’re staying confident in your work or schooling and are trying even harder than ever before. He’ll encourage and enjoy your confidence and hardworking nature, thus impressing him.
Continue to work on yourself
Any woman who takes the time to better herself, whether it’s mentally or physically, is one that is sure to impress everyone around her, including her long distance boyfriend. Continue to work on yourself in whatever way that is needed.
Stay loyal and interested in him
He doesn’t want to feel like he has been put on the back burner now that he’s away. Continue to show an utmost interest in him, even in smaller ways by asking how he’s doing or how his day was. This will impress him because it will show your loyalty and interest in him, even though you’re far apart.
Try for him
You can do this by setting aside a special time to go visit him, having a special night where the two of you do something together online or over the phone, or simply making sure you text him goodnight with something sweet every night. Show him you’re trying for him and the relationship to be successful.
What to Send Long Distance Boyfriend
Looking for some cute gift ideas to send your long distance boyfriend? We’ve compiled three cool and adorable relationship gifts you might want to buy.
This is a wonderful gift idea because every time he takes out his keys, he will see the adorable keychain and think of you and your guy’s relationship. The keychain states ‘I love you more than the miles between us’, which is an excellent reminder he will want to see regularly.
Certainly one of the favorite gifts to send long distance boyfriend, the pillow says ‘Hug this pillow until you can hug me’, which is simply adorable. It gives him something to snuggle with until he can snuggle you instead.
With this book, you get to fill in ALL of the reasons why you miss him. This personalized, creative gift is sure to leave a warmth in his heart and a huge smile on his face. Everyone loves a completely personalized gift, especially if it’s coming from their significant other.
Take the time to complete this book and send it as a gift for him on a special day such as Valentine’s Day, Christmas, or his birthday. It’s bound to be the best gift he received and it’s relatively cheap, too.
Being in a long distance relationship is never easy, but you can make it a little bit easier by doing simple things with and for your man.
Remember to communicate often and always make him feel special by doing little (and big) things, like sending care packages or setting up dates. Also remind yourself to remain strong, confident, and independent as well.